Sunday, June 04, 2006

Almost Home....

04-Giugno-2006

Oh boy. Where does one even begin when the updates have faltered so. Well, this morning I bid Adam farewell and set him through airport security on his way back to Iron Mountain. I have what is left of today and the whole day tomorrow in Italy. On Tuesday morning our flight leaves at 10:25am and we will arrive in Houghton’s airport at 11:55pm. It’s a 9-hour trans-Atlantic flight back to the US and we get into Chicago. Hopefully customs won’t be too much for us to bear.

I am looking forward to a greeting from Mari and Adam… possibly Laura and then a wee bit of sleep between catch-up conversations and enjoying some good ole American something or another. Then on Wednesday I plan to take my time around Houghton and possibly head to Indian River to see my dad that night, or make a stop in on Thursday before I make it all the way back to Bear Lake. That is still far too long that I will have been in the country and not seen Casey!!

During the time since my last update, I’ve been gallivanting around Italy with my mom and Europe with Adam. My semi-last article for student abroad was about my Italian travels with my mom, link here. After the current student abroad finishes his short session in Germany, I will have the opportunity to reappear on the radar and talk about the homecoming.

The vacation that Adam and I took around Europe went off without too much trouble. I somehow managed to forget that sleeping might be necessary to withstand such crazy travelling, but we still did all right. Some of the highlights included checking into our hotel in London for four hours and shortly after being woken up by someone who had been given our room as well, renting an economy car and then getting upgraded to a beamer with onboard navigation, seeing the German countryside from the autobahn, spending the night in a different rental car in Dublin, Ireland, having to change hotels in Paris because the place we had reserved was probably a brothel in disguise, enjoying Las Ramblas in Barcelona and taking bike tours. I’ll try to expand on all of this in a little while, for now, I’m going to go do some more packing. :-)

No comments: