Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tweetup, noun: A physical meeting for online users of Twitter


Houghton
Originally uploaded by Hajj Flemings
So recently I've been getting some flak from friends and people who don't understand my new obsession, twitter.

Twitter is a new-ish social networking, micro-blogging application. It allows you to make posts (160 characters or less) about your thoughts, interesting links, etc. People can "follow you" which means they can see when you post new things and you can choose whether or not to follow them back.

This "no-follow-required" system has its pluses and minuses but I have found it useful because I can follow CEOs of companies, big name marketers, magazines that I'm interested in, etc. And then I receive information about what they are doing, how they are doing it, and what their thoughts are on x, y, and z.

I post about graphic design findings, marketing/branding articles, greg's pictures, seo tips, etc. I tend to follow people with the same interests.

This weekend we had a meeting of fellow tweeters, the tweetup pictures associated with this post. A few people that I've already known about on twitter were there and I also had the opportunity to meet new people. It was a great time for social interaction and meeting people with the same interests as you is always entertaining. I would definitely do it again.

If you aren't on twitter and you would like to be, you can ask me any questions about it and definitely consider following me!

1 comment:

Belinda Marie said...

I know...I'm good at ignoring people :)

I'm on McVacation this week (just working @monte)....

I'll have to stop by and see your destruction one of these days...maybe I can help sometime? I'll work for beer. :)

- b