Friday, May 05, 2006

Caspita!

05-Maggio-2006

Today our Italian class was pretty comical. We came up to a word, Caspita, that our teacher didn’t know how to translate exactly. She said it was kind of like “damn” but in a positive way. We figured that it could be, “well I’ll be damned” and then another student came up with “no shit,” in a positive context of course. Our teacher, a 50 something year old Italian, decided to try this phrase on for size, and it sent us into a fit of laughter. It was a pretty funny class.

I also approached my teacher with the thought of taking the final exam early. I want to do this since my mom will be arriving on Saturday and my exam on Monday is the only reason I would need to stick around Torino. We could add almost two full days to our trip if I could move the test. So we’ll see. She is very reasonable; so I’m hoping it will all work out. Currently she is “thinking about it” and if she hesitates when I ask for an answer on Monday, I’ll move to bribery.

On a sad note, our landlord has a Pekinese dog that turned up missing last week. Casey stopped by today to see if they had found it yet and she found that he hadn’t been returned but also that our landlord’s uncle died. We figured that was a pretty horrible occurrence of events, and hopefully Paco the Pekinese will show up soon. On a strange note, when we were at the bus stop today we saw another lost dog sign that was also for a Pekinese. Since we were bored we cooked up a conspiracy and we’re now searching for the perp… CSI here I come.

Tomorrow is our all day field trip. I’m looking forward to it, other than the early departure time. After I’m trying to get a bunch of people to come out and try a new apertivo that I’ve heard “is the best in Torino.” I figure I have to make sure everything “is the best in Torino” before my mom gets here. Or at least that’s my justification.

No comments: