Saturday, January 14, 2006

14-Jan-06

Yet another day of Torino fun has been concluded. Tonight was my first real night out on the town. At least I feel that it was. One of the USAC girls celebrated her 21st birthday so we played some “wine pong,” similar to beer pong, and hit the winery before going to a popular bar called Frogs. By the time we found the place, Casey, Jeff and I were all freezing and hungry so we headed back to Via Dalamazzo and made some scrambled eggs. It was excellent.



Earlier in the day, I accomplished one of my goals. Brad, the newest roomie, took me to find the old Internet café that he used to frequent. The place will work out nicely I believe. The charge is two euros for an hour of Internet. I’m not sure how that works out considering I have to pay to use skype (an internet phone service) and pay to use the computer, but it’s not everyday that I frequent Europe. I do believe I will be stopping by the Internet place often.

This morning I made my first real trip to the open market. All the rumors are true. There is some very inexpensive produce with more flavors than I can describe in a paragraph. It was difficult to cross the language border, again, but every little bit helps. Casey, Jeff and I walked around for a while and then they headed off to do some cell phone shopping while I stayed at the market. I met two nice Italian guys who helped me with buying eggs (ouvas) and cheese (formaggi). They didn’t speak much English, but they did help me with my Italian. As it turned out, I think we decided to meet up again at five PM for this thing they call “apertivo” in Italian. This is a nightly occurrence from 5-8 pm where you go and pay a flat fee, usually 7-10 euros and get one drink with unlimited appetizers. I’m pretty sure that’s what was decided but low and behold, I was at the Internet café so long that I missed the engagement. Hopefully I didn’t make my first Italian friends too angry, but a girl has gotta talk when a girl has the Internet… yeah, I made that one up.

Well I suppose. “It’s three am and I wanna go to be-e-ed. Thoughts of you, are running through my hea-a-ad.” And I’m out. Ciao!

No comments: