Sunday, February 05, 2006

05-Feb-2006

**this post pretty much is this week's story in "A Student Abroad"

Holy amazing day! I did a solo journey to Milano. I figured it would be a good way to spread my wings and test my abilities to make a journey on my own. I was a little nervous this morning when I stepped outside and it looked totally overcast and was way colder than the day before. But I got on the train before I could ponder it for too long and found myself in Milano in just two hours time.

Luckily, I received a sweet Italian daytrip book from Adam’s mom, Rose, for Christmas and I let it be my guide for the duration of my trip. I got off the subway right in front of Duomo di Milano, which is the third largest church in the world and the most amazing elaborate display of craftsmanship that I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately, the pigeon peddlers in the square also saw my amazement and found it a prime opportunity to take advantage of my tourist-like ways. Before I really understood what was happening I had birdseed in my hands and this random guy is using my camera to take pictures of me with the pigeons. Oh yes, it’s all fun and games until the happy face goes away and one realizes that people expect money for their pigeon powers. Those were the most expensive three pictures I’ve ever had taken with my own camera. And if once wasn’t enough, I was also suckered into a bracelet pittance. I pretty much paid a euro for a piece of string. Not that I’m bitter or anything. I really got to hand it to those guys though; they know how to spot a sucker.

As for the sites, I did actually make it inside the Duomo, which can house up to 40,000 people and walked around for a while. I was more impressed with the outside though and made the venture up to the roof to see some of the elaborate work on the top. The pinnacle at the top is a golden statue of Jesus, quite amazing if I do say so myself. I also met these Italians who were from Rome and raved about it until I thought they would turn blue. Apparently it’s the greatest city in Italy, I’ll have to make that judgment for myself though.

Continuing on my journey, I ran into an astrologist who wanted to read my palm for $30. Luckily I did not let myself fall victim to this ploy. Upon hearing that I did not believe in astrology, he decided that I could save my $30 for lunch, what a nice guy, huh?

Before having my personal space bubble popped by someone else who wanted to sell me something, I went to Castle Sforzesco where the ruler of Milano called home. It was quite an elaborate display, but not quite as cool as the Duomo.

I tried to see Leonardo da Vinci’s painting of The Last Supper, but reservations are required and no one had cancelled their spot. I do think I want to make it back to see the painting, I hear it’s quite the experience. Next time I will have to plan it a little bit better.

As for my last site seeing venture, I toured the Basilica of Sant’ Ambrogio, which is a very ornate church that is tucked away and almost blends in with the rest of the city. Founded as early as AD 379, this church was much smaller than the Duomo but held some fascinating relics. It holds the crypt in which Saint Ambrose along with two other saints are buried.

I ended my tour in a fine pizzeria that wasn’t overly expensive, but definitely had Milano style. Even though Milano is the fashion capital of the world, I was only given several horrified looks when people saw me coming down the street in an orange hoodie. I think I had tourist written all over me. As for my adventure, it was amazing, I can’t believe all the things that I did or happened in only a few short hours. I suppose that ends my story for this week! Tune in next time for some serious Olympic revelations.

No comments: