Friday, March 03, 2006

03-March-2006

Today I was sitting in language class doing my best to translate whatever my teacher was spouting off about when Daniele (a guy and one of the program directors) came and asked to see me in the hallway. I felt like I was in high school again as I exited the room and though I was confused about what the matter could be, I was sure I could talk myself into safety. Luckily it wasn’t anything too bad, he just informed me that a package had come in which I owed some money. Sometimes when packages go through customs they attack an additional charge to them. Specifically, this package that my mom sent was labeled “gift” on the customs sheet and when that happens the officials assume that there is something new and valuable in it and tack on additional charge. It cost me 15 euro to get my package in addition to the $40 that it cost my mom to send. Needless to say, it wasn’t too great. So if anyone sends me a package, write “used personal items” on it and do not check the “gift” box on the customs sheet. We learned our lesson, didn’t we mom?

Pretty much decided to take it easy this weekend. Since we’re heading to Venice next weekend, I want to be sure that I have enough money to do some cool things which means laying low for now. It is going to be a pretty good weekend because tomorrow is Jeff’s birthday and we plan on heading out to dinner and making a homemade cake!! It was such a serious endeavor that a “pre-birthday” cake had to be made in order to ensure that it turned out. Unfortunately, we were unable to find baking soda for the cake, so it is severely dense but as luck would have it, we found some today at a bigger grocery store. Hopefully tomorrow’s cake will be “just like my mom makes it” as Jeff has said more times than I count.

Sorry this one’s so short, busy doin a whole lot of nothing interesting..

No comments: