Thursday, March 23, 2006

23-Marzo-2006

Today David’s parents came to the school. At 6:30pm our program directors set up this small gathering where students could meet his parents. I felt like it would be a good thing to go, and I was already at school anyway. Casey, Jeff and I were some of the first to sit down and there were only a few of us there when his parents came in. Then the rest of the group arrived. It was really awesome to see tons of students crowding through the doorway and I think it brought the first of many emotions around that evening. His sister, girlfriend, mom and dad looked just as uncomfortable as the rest of us felt, but after some quick introductions we all shared some memories and tried to figure out some more pieces of the puzzle leading up to the incident.

All in all it was a good thing to get everything out in front of the students and the parents. Everyone was pretty emotional and it was kind of comforting to see everybody grieving instead of just having your emotions all stored up inside. They did try to sort out some new information. They found David’s phone after the autopsy and confirmed that he had been speaking with his girlfriend from 5 to 6:11am. The train conductor found his body right around 6:30am so everyone is beginning to think this was more of an accident. Maybe he was walking on the train tracks and went to climb out and fell or something. I’m kind of confused because if the fatal wound on his head matched a pattern typical to a falling, then why couldn’t they rule out foul play from the beginning? I don’t know, the police told us they would let us know what the investigation concludes.

Other than that, the day was alright. Just some school and then came home and hung out. We were thinking about trying to go to Cinque Terre, which I’ve been thinking about for awhile now, but I don’t think it’s going to happen this weekend. The chocolate festival is calling to me and I want to write about the festival for my next article.

No comments: