Wednesday, March 08, 2006

08-Marzo-2006

Today is International Women’s Day!! Believe it or not, this international holiday has roots in America and the first I’ve heard of it is in Italy… isn’t that strange?

On this day back in 1908 there was a textile factory fire in New York (I’m pretty sure it was New York) and over 100 women died. Some even jumped out of windows as they realized that they had no way of exiting. The factory was in the typical condition of those back then. There were no fire standards and lots of fabric that could easily catch flame. There were also a lot of smokers. I didn’t find out the exact cause of the fire. The owner of the factory was put on trial but when the only survivor recounted her story the exact same way twice, the defending lawyer argued that she memorized what she was going to say and the charges were dropped.

This, along with other events, got the ball rolling for a women’s union. Over time, March 8th was declared International Women’s Day. In Italy they celebrate this tradition by buying mimosa, which is a type of yellow flower, and give them to women they know. Today Jeff bought Casey and I mimosa (I feel so special!). I think we should bring this tradition back to America…

Back to the homework.. I’m a slave…

No comments: