Saturday, April 15, 2006

15-Aprile-2006

Well if everyone was laying low because of Sad Friday, they were definitely ALL out and about on Saturday. The streets were filled! I love traveling to different countries because people don’t look the same! Since I have German roots, maybe I look German, but in Italy I have no chance of passing as Italian because they are all dark and short… I am also instantly classified as an outsider and therefore my odds of making friends, even if I could speak the language, diminish substantially. Kind of upsetting, but oh well, Germany wasn’t like that. People actually tried speaking German to me, and I looked like a bumbling idiot, but it worked out alright.

The weather wasn’t ideal today either. I really wanted to go for a bike ride, but we decided to postpone it because we didn’t want to get caught up in a rainstorm. Nothing in Germany was overly green yet, definitely behind Italy, but it seems like in the summer that it would be amazing. I had some brochures from the Rein River tour, which looks like it would be amazing with the whole fog/rain/billowing clouds exception.

Do you ever have those mornings when you wake up and want to pull your hair out because it won’t do anything? Not just a bad hair day, but a “if I don’t get my hair cut today then I’m going to scream” day? Ok, well, if you get your hair cut on semi-regular basis, then you probably don’t have these problems, however, I am not one of those people. The last time I got my haircut was when I was home for Thanksgiving. Every time I go to get my haircut in Houghton, the stylist always tells me that my hair is “very damaged” and that I should come in more often. I’m too busy for that, but I suppose it wouldn’t kill me to be nicer to my hair. Since I had one of those mornings, I decided it was time to get my haircut. In retrospect, getting my haircut in Germany could have been a tragedy… If I had at least gotten it done in Italy I could of sort of described what I was looking for, but there was none of that in Germany. We found a place that looked alright, or at least it beat the one we went into where all the hair dressers had wild colored hair… and found a girl that sort of spoke English to translate.

I was sitting in the chair becoming very nervous when they took my hair out of the ponytail and proceeded to tell me how broken and damaged my hair was… I should have guessed. So they sold me a vitamin treatment and told them to cut off whatever was damaged. Turns out they took off a good inch and a half, which doesn’t seem like much, but it really was a lot. The women really did a good thorough job (according to jeff, ok and me too), so Casey decided to get her haircut also. It was fun and exciting. We also visited the pet store – which beats a boring old museum any day. :-)

After all that fun, we hit up the Hard Rock CafĂ©, yeah we’re Americans, and then a brauhaus, which is how it should be… Then we called it quits.

No comments: