Sunday, April 23, 2006

23-Aprile-2006

Article for this week…

It’s Paradise..

Until now we’ve never had a bit of trouble just showing up at the train station and catching a ride to some fun and exciting destination for the weekend. This weekend, however, marks the Independence Day holiday in Italy. On this holiday the Italians choose to travel, which is all fine and dandy except for the non-reservation making travellers. Needless to say, we were slightly upset.

The weather has taken a turn for the better, which is really strange for me. I’ve grown up in Michigan and have vivid memories of daring my brother to go swim in the freezing cold lake during the month of March – ok, sometimes April. That wouldn’t be a problem at all in Italy. For the last three years I’ve been living in Houghton year-round, and last year the final pile of snow held out until the end of May! It’s been strange to experience this climate change, but I’m enjoying it nonetheless.

Since our plans to travel to Nice, France were debunked by the lack of available trains, a few of us decided to go to Lake Maggiore. Lake Maggiore is the second largest lake in Italy and very close to the more famous Lake Como. Lake Como is home to a huge mansion owned by George Clooney and is rumoured to be a hot spot for the likes of Hollywood. I’m sure Lake Maggiore is much more beautiful. Haha.

Once we got off the train, we seemed to be transferred into a tropical paradise. The distinguished look of palm trees and many other types of beautiful vegetation were suddenly all around. As we got closer to the water, the Borromean Islands of Lake Maggiore came into view. Regrettably, we did not make it onto the islands, which I’m somewhat disappointed about, but I think I’m going to go there again when my family joins me in less than a month.

Our soul purpose for the trip was to enjoy the weather and sit by the water. This goal we accomplished flawlessly but the sun didn’t cooperate the entire time. Luckily it didn’t rain but about an hour into our beach sitting, a gigantic cloud decided to place itself conveniently between me and my rays of sunlight. This cloud decided to hang around for an undeterminable amount of time so we took our show on the road and walked along the shore of the lake for a while. This stroll wasn’t disappointing at all; there was endless green grass, amazing plant life, and gorgeous flowers. It was very much how I envision a tropical paradise.

Since the Italian holiday means time off for us, we have until Tuesday before we return to school. This means there is definitely time to make another journey. The destination is still undecided, but it will probably be just another quick day trip – maybe another tropical paradise, I guess we’ll just have to see!

No comments: