Monday, April 17, 2006

17-Aprile-2006

I wasn’t in too much of a hurry to wake up at the hostel, plus there were two other sleeping people in the room who we figured didn’t speak English. I laid awake in bed for awhile and figured I would go back to Cologne for my last full day in Germany since there was still a two hour bus ride back to the airport tomorrow before my flight.

The hostel wasn’t too bad of a set up, but I learned from Sara and Megan that some of them leave little to be desired. This one had lockers in the room so you could make sure none of your stuff was tampered with when you weren’t there. They also provided bed linen and a towel, not all of them do. Everyone was friendly, but it wasn’t like anyone was too buddy buddy, maybe I just wasn’t there long enough to make any more friends. They also had free internet so I caught up on email and then packed up and headed out.

I made it back to Cologne in no time flat and looked for another place to stay. I had fun in the hostel but figured that instead of sharing a room with six people I would try and find a cheap room for the night. Plus I had done some research on the Cologne hostel and learned that they were a little more expensive and charged for a lot of stuff, that and it was way outside of town. As luck would have it I found a hotel not too far way from where we stayed before, which was just a hop skip and a jump to the bus stop and the main station. It was only 39 euro a night and I got breakfast, a TV and my own room! I was excited because on average I spent right around 30 euro a night on lodging the whole time I was in Germany.

I did the town tour again. This time I explored some places we didn’t make it to before and got to watch some of the Rond di Koln which was a bike racing going on. Once again the weather was kind of crappie, so I walked until it started raining and my feet hurt before heading back to the hotel. Once there, I flipped on the TV and caught the end of the bike race which concluded just down the street from where I was staying, although I didn’t know it at the time. I was pretty excited about seeing some of the race and I was then determined to rent a bike before I left the next day.

No comments: